This has been one of our most popular recipes on the Road to Awesome plan. You will soon find out why. It is delicious, satisfying and indulgent in both taste and health. It tastes so good you won't believe how good it is for you!
Swiss Chard White Bean Soup
serves: 4-6 (freezes well)
prep: 10 minutes
cook: 35 minutes
1 Tb olive oil or water (for sautéing)
2 yellow onions, medium, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 bunch red or rainbow Swiss chard, thick stems removed,
leaves cut into thin julienne strips
6 cups vegetable broth
2 cans of Cannellini beans (~15 oz each)
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 Tb finely chopped fresh basil (optional)
1.5 cups of whole wheat capellini (angel hair pasta) broken into thirds, cooked and drained
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil or just use water. Add the onions and sauté, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the carrots and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and half the Swiss chard and sauté until wilted, about 2 minutes.
3. Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, basil and bring to a boil, partially covered. Simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Using a hand-held blender or counter blender, puree the soup in batches, leaving some texture, and return the soup to the pot. Set over medium heat and add the pasta and remaining chard. Cook until the chard is wilted about 3 minutes.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste + ladle the soup into bowls.
Comments will be approved before showing up.