7 Reasons to Do the Most Dreaded Exercise on the Planet
Mention the word "Burpee" and you just might get a disgruntled look. My personal training clients and Road to Awesome
crew members at least understand the why's behind the madness. Wanted to share this information with you in hopes that you gain some new persecptive on the exercise that only wants to improve your physical and mental fitness.
FIRST, WHAT IS A BURPEE?
The Original "Burpee" was created by Royal H. Burpee, a physiologist in New York City, using a four-count movement pattern to be performed 4 times to simply assess the fitness of everyday people and not necessarily that of already fit people. In 1939, Burpee as a Ph.D. candidate in applied physiology at Teacher’s College, Columbia University, invented the "Burpee," (not yet named) the four-count movement that would provide an easy way to evaluate fitness. The original exercise
1. Squat down and place both hands on the floor in front of you.
2. Jump feet back into plank position.
3. Jump feet forward.
4. Return to standing.
Your new BFF movement for strength, endurance & heart pumping caloric torching. The goal is to move through each position as quickly as possible.
Like anything worth doing, it takes practice. Here is my definition for doing the full burpee without modification and demonstration
1. Start by standing with your feet about hip distance apart. Bend knees and bring your hands to the floor just in front of your feet.
2. Jump your feet back into a plank.
3. Lower your chest to the floor any way any how.
4. With hands flat on the floor about shoulder distance apart or wider, jump or pop your feet back up to your hands.
5. If this popping action is not happening for you, press up into a strong plank type position and then jump your feet forward.
6. Finish with a jump WHILE clapping your hands together overhead, arms extended.
A. Do the original 4-count burped listed above. No chest to deck and no jump at the end.
B. Instead of jumping feet back, step one foot back and then the other. No chest to deck. Then instead of jumping feet forward, step one foot forward and then the other. To finish, just clap hands overhead without the jump.
C. Use a chair seat to place your forearms. Follow modification B.
REASONS TO DO BURPEES
1. Saves time: you get more bang for your fitness buck in less time than other exercises.
2. Works full body: arms, chest, back, quads, hams, core and more!
3. Increases S & C: no matter what level you are, burpees increase your strength and conditioning.
4. Fail proof: while burpees may look ugly sometimes - they are still working! Think of it more as "fall down, get back up
5. Portable: you can do these anywhere and requires no equipment.
6. Challenging for all: can be modified for beginners to pros. Improvements will happen and become palpable for everyone.
7. Never Give up Attitude: maybe my favorite reason for doing burpees - it builds your body and mind physically and mentally. Burpees teach you that even in the toughest of times to just keep going.
WHAT IS YOUR REASON?
Leave us a comment and let us know. Best answer will receive the 7 Day Slay for free!
WORKOUT OF THE DAY:
Every minute on the minute for 15 minutes perform X number of burpees. Rest the remainder of the minute. Beginners do 3-5, Intermediate do 6-9, Advanced do 10-12.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.