Who doesn't love a heaping bowl of cozy chili this time of year? I can tell you my family sure does! This delicious, nourishing, all plant-based meal was just what the doctor ordered. Feel free to double the recipe and either eat as leftovers for lunch, over the next 2-3 days or freeze and eat much later. Pair with a mixed greens salad, a little iced tea and grace before the meal and this will surely be a health-giving, ask-for-seconds hit.
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, smashed, minced
1/4 cup water (nix if you like thicker chili)
2-3 Tb tomato paste
3 Tb chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 (15.5 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15.5 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups vegetable broth
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal (mix cornmeal into 1/2 cup of the simmering chili before adding to the pot)
1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro, 1/2 cup of chopped collard greens or greens of your choice
Salt and pepper to taste
corn tortilla strips (I used Mi Rancho Organic Corn Tortillas, brushed with coconut oil and chili powder, warmed to a crisp on the stove and cut in strips)
plant-based cheese shreds (I used Daiya cheese)
1. Heat 2 Tb of water in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sautée 2-3 minutes; add garlic to pan; sauté about 1minute.
2. Stir in 1/2 cup water and the rest of the ingredients except for the corn meal & cilantro/greens, and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes with half tilted lid.
4. Remove 1/2 cup of the simmered chili and stir in the cornmeal to thoroughly mix. Put back in the saucepan. Add greens; simmer another 3-5 minutes.
5. Reduce heat to the lowest setting and keep warm while serving. Add salt and pepper to taste. *The longer you simmer the richer the taste.
For daily breakfast, lunch and dinner meal plans, click on the Road to Awesome 30 Day and start today! Do it at your own pace or join us. I'll be in the group giving you feedback and cheers along with the rest of our RTA crew.