It's December 1st, 2020 and we are still going through this unprecedented year. If you take home only one lesson from 2020, take this one.
What you possess inside of you is bigger than any perceived obstacle on your path. The pain, the heartache, the celebrations, the adversity, the joy is and will always be amongst us. It's up to us how we choose to live, respond, and rise + shine.
The world will tell you why you can’t and we have collectively come to believe it. I believe much differently. I believe it’s never too late to live the life you were created to live, no matter what your circumstances are and you can start right now.
1. I think it is too late (do you plan on expiring first?) Time will pass either way. Better for you to go for it then not at all. It's never too late to do the important things -- take care of your health, be present for your family, fulfill your purpose.
2. I’m too busy with work and with life in general (too busy to improve your temple, the place where you live every moment and propels every thought and thing that you do…really?…why are you working again?) Stop the madness. Take 10 minutes to go for a walk or drop and do some push ups every minute on the minute for 10 minutes. Do something that makes you feel alive and better. If you want to see a change then you have to make a change and there is no better time than right now.
3. I’m too old or too injured or too stiff? (too old for what? To take care of your body that you wished you had done last year next year.) What does being old mean exactly to you and do you like where you are headed? Too injured? The question is what can you do to start to heal your body? Most people I find get used to their injuries and say "Oh that's my bad leg." Why yes it is because keep telling yourself that and then in turn do nothing about it.
Your body is miraculous. Breathe that in for a moment. Your body will strengthen, adapt, and thrive if you just let go of the notion that it won't and then take small action.
4. The kids need me so I can’t. (yes they do – they need you to be happy, healthy and there for them in EVERY way, not just half-heartedly walking around like the living dead.) Your kids want to see YOU happy. Did you know that it makes them full of joy to see you live with joy? Did you know that you being motivated, full of purpose to live your dreams and accomplish your goals motivates and inspires them to live and want to accomplish their dreams and goals too? Eureka!
5. I don’t know where to start. (start by doing. Figure out the first step toward your goal and take it.) As Amelia Earhart said "The most effective way to do it, is to do it." Set your timer for 5 minutes and start. Figure out the second step and take it. Everything is figure-out-able!